After 2020, you will have to use your passport to fly domestically unless you obtain a Real ID from the DMV.
You can get a REAL ID at any time, but you'll need to go to a DMV Office. You can't get a REAL ID online or by phone.
Carry the following documents with you when you go to obtain your Real ID from the DMV:
• One proof of identity: A certified birth certificate or unexpired U.S. passport.
• One proof of your name change: A certified marriage license or a certified divorce decree. This is if there has been a name change or if your passport shows a different name.
• One proof of your Social Security number: Your Social Security card, W-2 or a 1099 tax form with full name and number.
• Two proofs of your current address: Your driver’s license, vehicle registration card, voter registration card, cable bill, utility bill or bank statement.
Here are some tips from the DMV:
1. If your license or ID card expires in 2020: Renew your license as a REAL ID within six months of your expiration date.
2. If your license or ID card expires after 2020: make an appointment now to obtain a REAL ID for $13. Once your card expires, you can renew it online.
I hope this information is helpful for my fellow New Yorkers. Although it seems like we have a while to go, I encourage people who would like to get a Real ID to get organized and get it out of the way!